Friday, August 6, 2010

Training: Weeks 4 and 5

I'm so happy to report that Rusty and I have made it this far, and are nearly done with week 5. Looking back, 5 weeks doesn't sound like a whole heck of a lot, but I'll be the first to say I'm very proud of what we've accomplished!

The "routine" of the training has finally settled in, and it's not so bad. Sure, there are several days a week that I dread it, because I just get so bored with running. I'm really hoping that this whole experience might help me get over that, but I'm not sure its possible. While the "routine" is getting easier, the actually training isn't. This Sunday we have to run 3.25 miles. If you asked me to do that 5 weeks ago, I would have laughed in your face and walked away. Now, it doesn't seem so terrible.

Our Sunday run is always the longest. Everything else during the week is just varied intervals and different paces. I told Rusty that during the week is my "push" time - it's when I really try to run better than the last time I did the similar exercise or distance. Sunday is my "finish" day - I'm not concerned with my time. All I want to do is successfully finish the distance. I know that if I work hard to get better during the weeks, the Sunday runs will improve on their own.

My mile time is improving ever so slightly. I think I've shaved between 5 and 10 seconds off of it. I honestly wish that number was a little bit higher right now, but I am going to give myself a little bit of a break considering how stinkin' hot it is outside, the fact that I HAVE improved, and that it's only the 5th week. As far as the weight is concerned... HA! I haven't budged! Oh well. Maybe one day!

Next week will present a whole new bag of obstacles for me - I'm finally through my entire maternity leave, and will be starting back to work on Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see how I do. I know next week will be extremely challenging for me on so many levels, and in the grand scheme of things, this training isn't my most important priority. I just hope everything goes well enough that this is something I can still take on and handle in stride.

As for Rusty - he is doing wonderful with the training as well! I'm so proud of him for sticking with it this long also, only because he absolutely hates running... I think even more than I hate it! We're hoping to run our first 5k some time this month, but we'll see. I know we can do it whenever we want at home, but being surrounding by other runners is always motivation for me to work harder, so I really hope we get the opportunity.

Until next time! (And be wishing for cooler weather in the meantime - we'll both appreciate it immensely!!!)

TTFN

0 comments: